Wednesday 11 February 2015

Curried Pumpkin soup

This soup is a real hearty winter warmer like getting a warm cuddle in your belly (it really is) There's nothing better than a nice warm bowl of soup when you're feeling a bit under the weather and need a pick me up.

I had a Butternut squash that needed using up so I thought I'd cheer myself up with this yummy bowl of goodness :) It's so easy and tasty and most of all it's healthy :) Give it a try.

Ingredients:

2 cups of pumpkin puree (butternut squash)
1 stick of celery diced
Half a yellow onion diced
1 clove of garlic minced
1 medium sized carrot sliced
Ground black pepper as needed
Himalayan salt as needed
1/2 tsp of Curry powder
sprig of thyme
2 and 1/2 cups of water
Olive Oil (drizzle)
Dollop of fat free yogurt

Method and preparation:

Add a drizzle of olive oil to a large pan and heat gently.

Add the onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes until the onion is soft.

Now add the celery and carrots and give it a stir.
Add in the pumpkin puree and add all the seasonings along with the water.

Bring the soup to a boil and turn the heat down and let it simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on but leaving a slight gap.
Stir occasionally so that it doesn't stick or burn.

After the 20 minutes is up taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking.

Now either use a jug blender or stick blender to puree the soup to the consistency of your liking or serve it as it is (chunky) I pureed mine with a stick blender.

Put it back on the heat to warm it up for a minute or two and serve in a bowl with a dollop of fat free Greek yogurt .

Servings : 2

Notes: 

I wanted this to be a healthy recipe , that's why I haven't used a stock in my soup as it contains too much sodium and adds to the calories. Water did the job perfectly as the seasoning gave it enough flavour.

I also used Himalayan salt as it is extremely healthy for you, tastes better and has no calories :)

I also used fat free yogurt in place of cream/creme fraiche.

try it out and let me know what you think :)

Enjoy and happy cooking.





No comments:

Post a Comment