Thursday 25 July 2013

Gingerbread

I've only ever tried shop bought and My other half's Mam's Homemade Gingerbread, I'd I have to say I'm a big fan of it :)
It looked quite daunting to make but I thought to myself if I don't try I'll never find out what it will turn out like.
So here's my take on it . It turned out amazingly moist, light and tasty :) Great for a first time try.

Ingredients:
3 fl oz Golden syrup
2 Tbsp Treacle
3/4 cup dark muscovado sugar
1 1/4 cups boiling water
2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp ginger powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
6 tbs softened butter
1 tbs white sugar
1 large egg
1/4 tsp salt

Preparation Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 then turn it down to 150 when you put the Gingerbread in to bake.


Combine the golden syrup, treacle, brown sugar and boiling water in a pan. Stir and set aside until it reaches room temperature.


Mix together the flour,spices, baking powder,baking soda and salt.


In another bowl cream together the butter and white sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat egg into the mixture and add the cooled syrup .
Stir in the dry ingredients only to blend together.




Butter and flour a 9 inch square baking tray.


Pour the batter into the tray and pop in the oven for 30- 40 minutes until the skewer comes out clean.
Mine took exactly 30 minutes but ovens may vary so please keep a check on your gingerbread.



It's ready :)


Let the Gingerbread cool down for 10-15 minutes before cutting into squares.


Enjoy with cream or custard or even as it is with a lovely cuppa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment